The best opportunity at gaining law enforcement experience.
Criminal Justice or Related Field Students
Students who are enrolled or soon to be enrolled in a Criminal Justice or a related field are eligible to apply for this part-time position designed to give college students an opportunity to see what it is like to work for our department. We currently have 8 positions at the police department that are part-time hours during the school year and fulltime hours for 10 weeks during the summer.
Customer Service Role
Cadets are given the opportunity to serve in a customer service role at the front desk of the police lobby as well as answering phones and assisting the public with obtaining information. Cadets assist with booking duties in the jail as well as enforcing certain parking violations in the field. Police cadets are given the opportunity to interact with the public through programs like the Junior Police Academy as well as other public events hosted by the City.
Duties of the Cadet include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Code enforcement
- Customer service at the police lobby
- Jail and booking operations assistance
- Maintain law enforcement records
- Work a maximum of 20 hours per week during the school year
- Work a maximum of 40 hours per week during summer and/or breaks
Other basic requirements are:
- A Cadet must give a moral commitment of two years to the Cadet Program
- Must have a good driving record and no felony convictions. A poor driving record or misdemeanor convictions may negatively affect an opportunity for employment.
- Must possess good moral character and general reputation.
- Must possess acceptable physical, emotional and mental fitness.
- Candidate must be willing to allow a background check regarding past school contacts, employment, medical, and conduct records.
- Must offer fingerprints, when requested, for background investigation purposes.
If you are interested in joining the police cadet program, please complete the online application and submit along with a professional resume. If you have any questions or would like to know more about the program you may email our Lead Police Cadet, Spencer Slenk or call 616-355-1180.
- Online Application System
- Position: Police Cadet
- Reference Number
- Status: Open and accepting applications