Skip to Main Content

Holland Fire Services Personnel Respond to Fire at The Microtel - 634 Hastings Avenue

Press release date: Sat Nov 30th, 2013

At 02:12:24 AM today, Fire Services personnel were dispatched to 643 Hastings Avenue to a fire alarm with subsequent 911 callers advising an active fire was present on the first floor of the three story occupied hotel.  Upon arrival personnel found smoke present in the interior hallway with the buildings sprinkler system activating.  The alarm system was sounding throughout the building. The sprinkler system was containing the fire in the room of fire origin.  The fire was extinguished by firefighters within minutes of the first arriving engines.  Firefighters and police assisted with completing evacuation.  No civilian or uniformed injuries were sustained.

After extinguishing the fire, personnel remained on scene to assist the business with controlling smoke and water damage clearing at 3:57AM.  The fire protection features of the building, including a sprinkler system, smoke alarms, automatic door closures, and a response time of just over 5 minutes, were all critical in reducing the property damage and life safety risk to the occupants.  Total damage is estimated at approximately $11,000.  The hotel remains open for business.
The cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental and was caused by combustible items being placed too close to a candle by the occupants of the hotel room.


HDPS Fire Services personnel were assisted by police services and AMR.


For additional information contact Captain Chris Tinney at 616-355-1023