Riverview Park / Window on the Waterfront
This 30 acre parcel along the south edge of the Macatawa Marsh is located northeast of 6th Street and Central Avenue.
In July of 1918 this municipal ballpark was established with the help of Holland Board of Public Works, city fathers, local merchants and citizens. The facility was first call Athletic Park and was located north of the electric and water station on 5th Street. It was later briefly referred to as Water Works Park and then changed to Riverview Park in the mid 1920s.
Originally this facility was used for local baseball games. This was the home field for the Independents, Holland’s team. Twilight baseball games took placed between the Independents and such teams as Kelloggs and Postums of Battle Creek, Three Rivers, Illinois Colored Giants, Cuban Stars, Allegan and Grand Rapids semi-pro teams.
The city playground commission borrowed money from the City of Holland and local business men install lights at this facility. On July 9, 1937 the first lighted baseball game took place at this facility between Holland Flying Dutchmen and Zeeland Chicks. The lights also allowed Hope College to host evening football games. On September 27, 1940 Holland High School also began using this facility for their home football games.
Since lighting for football at Riverview Park was better than for baseball, from 1937 until the park closed for football in 1979, there were many football contests under the lights. The covered grandstand was moved to the park in 1932.
The site began to be referred to as Window on the Waterfront in 1996.
Walking/biking paths that overlook the marsh
Riverview Athletic Field
Parking areas are located at each end of the park
100,000 tulip bulbs