- In 1986, the City of Holland designated the first historic district with approximately 186 properties naming it the Holland Historic District (ord. 903 7/2/86).
- This action was followed by an addition in 1994 of 114 properties contiguous to the south and east (ord. 1114 6/15/94).
- Five landmark properties were added to the district in 1999 (ord. 1235 2/3/99), four of which were subsequently included in the Washington Boulevard Historic District.
- In 2001, the City expanded the designated historic property inventory with the adoption of the Washington Boulevard Historic District comprising approximately 187 properties (ord. 1320 10/17/01 followed by a referendum vote 3/12/02).
- Following intensive study the thirty acre home lot at the Van Raalte Farm was designated as a district and the historic district ordinance was amended to provide an advisory recommendation for any proposed physical change to the remaining 130 acres of the Farm (ord. 1446 3/1/06).
- Keppel’s Village Historic District, six Veneklassen brick houses and one noncontributing property was adopted as a district in 2010. (ord. 1548 7/7/10)
A Certificate of Appropriateness (CoA) is required for work that will effect the exterior of any property within these Historic Districts in Holland. The Historic District Commission (HDC) reviews the applications for a CoA according to the Secretary of HUD Design Guidelines.
The HDC generally meets monthly, generally the first Tuesday of each month at 5:00 p.m. in the training room or third floor conference room at City Hall. Applications for a CoA must be received in the Community & Neighborhood Services Office not less than ten working days prior to the date of the next regularly scheduled meeting. There is no fee for this application. For further information contact us at 616.355.1330.
The Certificate of Appropriateness Application is listed below. You may download a copy and submit completed application to:
Karen Padnos, Planner
270 River Avenue
Holland, MI 49423