ABOUT THE SIRENS
- New technology has enabled Ottawa County Dispatch to activate the sirens for a county wide warning.
- Local communities still control their own sirens which gives them the abilty to sound them for local emergencies.
WHEN THEY WILL SOUND
- The purpose of the sirens is to notify residents of ANY emergency situation.
The sirens will sound for the following conditions:-
- TORNADO WARNING
- SUSTAINED WINDS OF 70MPH OR MORE
- They may also be activated to notify an area that a hazardous material incident has occurred.
BEFORE THE EMERGENCY
- Have an emergency plan in place.
- Designate a location for family members to meet.
- Have a flashlight, battery operated radio and fresh batteries on hand.
WHEN THE SIREN SOUNDS
- Take cover
- Tune in to local media or NOAA weather radio at frequency 162.425 for further information.
- DO NOT CALL 911 unless you have an emergency situation requiring immediate attention.