Storm Sewers

City of Holland Michigan Official Website

The City of Holland maintains City storm water lines and drainage structures.  At left is a photo of the Vactor truck used to clean and clear storm water lines and structures.  This truck can suction out a structure or force water through a storm line.

What is the difference between storm water lines and sanitary sewer lines? 

The City of Holland is responsible for storm water mains.  These lines are maintained separately from sanitary mains.  Storm water lines collect rain water (clear water) via drainage structures.  Homeowners may have private sump connections to a storm line.  A licensed contractor must obtain a working in the Right-of-Way permit prior to any connections.

Where does the water that enters the storm drains in the City of Holland go?  Lake Macatawa! Drains throughout the City are cleaned and maintained to prevent pollutants from entering Lake Macatawa. Here are some tips for residents. Never dump anything into a storm drain; and, if you witness this happening, report it to the City of Holland at 355-1330 or 928-2400. Remember to wash your car at either a professional car wash or on your lawn – don’t let the dirty soapy wash water enter the storm drain that drains into Lake Macatawa.  Remember this “Only Rain Down the Drain!”.

Help others in our community realize this important message by participating in a volunteer service activity called Storm Drain Stencling!  Storm drain stenciling is a fun, family friendly activity that helps bring awareness to the fact that local storm drains take water to Lake Macatawa, not to the wastewater treatment plant.  To gain free access to all the materials your group needs to stencil local drains, contact Kelly at the Macatawa Watershed Project (616-395-2688) or visit and click on the “Watershed” tab at the top of the page.

Sanitary sewer mains are separate lines that collect waste water from toilets, sinks and other (dirty water) sources.  Sanitary sewer mains are maintained by the Holland Board of Public Works.  Problems with Sanitary sewer should be directed to the BPW at 355-1520.  Homeowner's may not have a sump connection to a sanitary sewer line.