Windmill Island Gardens Description
Windmill Island Gardens
A beautiful oasis on the edge of downtown Holland, Windmill Island Gardens features a 250 year old working Dutch windmill "De Zwaan" (meaning graceful bird). The windmill, which reaches 125 feet from the ground to the top of the blades, towers over 36 acres of gardens, dikes, canals and picnic areas. Costumed guides give tours of DeZwaan through-out the day.
• Over 100,000 tulips bloom in the spring. In the summer, annual plants and flowers decorate the grounds. We welcome you to linger amid a sea of flowers.
• The Post House is an exact replica of a 14th century wayside inn. Inside you can view a 12 minute movie - The Story of DeZwaan and stay and rest in our Gathering Space while viewing DeZwaan's Arrival Timeline Pictures.
• Listen to our antique Amsterdam street organ and learn how it works.
• Kids will love the antique Dutch Carousel, featuring hand-carved and painted wooden horses and our Playground & Children's gardens.
• Visit the miniature Little Netherlands Village display made by the early settlers.
• Enjoy some world famous fudge made with real Dutch cocoa in the DeZoete Haan Fudge shop.
• Visit our Gift shop for some mementos of your visit, including our stone ground flour from the windmill.
We hope you enjoy your visit while with us. For questions, please stop in the Post House at Visitor Services.