- In 1986, the City of Holland designated the first historic district with approximately 186 properties naming it the Holland Historic District (Ordinance 903, July 2, 1986).
- This action was followed by an addition in 1994 of 114 properties contiguous to the south and east (Ordinance 1114, June 15, 1994).
- Five landmark properties were added to the district in 1999 (Ordinance 1235, February 3, 1999), four of which were subsequently included in the Washington Boulevard Historic District.
- In 2001, the City expanded the designated historic property inventory with the adoption of the Washington Boulevard Historic District comprising approximately 187 properties (Ordinance 1320, October 17, 2001 followed by a referendum vote, March 12, 2002).
- Following intensive study the thirty acre home lot at the Van Raalte Farm was designated as a district and the historic district ordinance was amended to provide an advisory recommendation for any proposed physical change to the remaining 130 acres of the Farm (Ordinance 1446, March 1, 2006).
- Keppel’s Village Historic District, six Veneklassen brick houses and one noncontributing property was adopted as a district in 2010. (Ordinance 1548, July 7, 2010).
Certificate of Appropriateness
A Certificate of Appropriateness (CoA) is required for work that will effect the exterior of any property within these Historic Districts in Holland. The Historic District Commission (HDC) reviews the applications for a CoA according to the Secretary of Interior Standards Guidelines.
The HDC meets monthly, generally the first Tuesday of each month at 5 p.m. Applications for a CoA must be received in the Community and Neighborhood Services Office no less than ten (10) working days prior to the date of the next regularly scheduled meeting. There is no fee for this application. For further information contact our Historic Preservation Planner at 616-355-1344.
You may download a copy of the application for a Certificate of Appropriateness (PDF) and submit the completed application by emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by dropping off or mailing it to the following address:
Community and Neighborhood Services
Attn: Anna Minnebo, Historic Preservation Planner
270 River Avenue
Holland, MI 49423