Local Historic Districts
The City of Holland is home to four local historic districts – Holland Historic District (1986), Holland Historic District Addition (1994), Washington Boulevard Historic District (2001), and Keppel’s Village Historic District (2010). A local historic district is a historically significant area that is recognized by a local unit of government and protected under a historic district ordinance.
Properties located within the local historic districts must receive a Certificate of Appropriateness (CoA) for all work that will affect the exterior of a historic resource. More information can be found here.
Historic District Timeline
October 1871 – On the same weekend as the Great Chicago Fire, Holland experiences a devastating fire that destroys most of the housing stock and businesses within the surrounding area. Surviving structures included 190 W. 9th Street, 236 W. 9th Street, and 238 Washington Boulevard, all now within the Washington Boulevard local historic district.
1871-1930 – Period of Significance for Holland Historic District. This is when the greatest amount of neighborhood growth and construction occurred.
1983 – Holland Historic District successfully nominated to the National Register of Historic Places.
1986 – City of Holland Historic District Ordinance established, Historic District Commission formed.
Holland Historic District designated as first local historic district with approximately 186 properties (Ordinance 903).
1987 – City of Holland becomes a Certified Local Government, a partnership with the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) for communities that make a commitment to historic preservation at the local level.
1990 – Holland Historic District Addition, expanded to the east and south of previous boundaries, successfully nominated to the National Register of Historic Places.
1990 – Holland Downtown Historic District successfully nominated to the National Register of Historic Places.
1994 – Portion of Holland Historic District Addition added to local historic district ordinance, approximately 114 properties (Ordinance 1114).
1999 – Five landmark properties identified and added to the district (Ordinance 1235). Four of which were subsequently included in the Washington Boulevard Historic District.
2001 – Washington Boulevard Historic District added to local historic district ordinance, approximately 187 properties (Ordinance 1446).
2006 – Van Raalte Farm Home Lot added to local historic district ordinance, including the homestead and surrounding 30 acres (1446).
2010 – Keppel’s Village Historic District added to local historic district ordinance, six Veneklassen brick houses and one noncontributing property (Ordinance 1548).